University of Toronto
2012-2013 Active FIMRC Chapter
Director of Special Events
Alicia Lara Gonzalez
Partnership and Volunteer Coordinator
Director of Publicity
Global Health Volunteer Coordinator
- Hosted a "Wing Eating Competition" at Puck N' Wings, which raised over $400 to support their Adopt-A-Project: Improving Early Development in Trujillo's Children
- Collaborated with another student group called "ForMyFriends" to host a speaker series called "Impact of Poverty on Global Health and Education". Invited speakers included: Allan Harman, the founder of the Alma Children's Education Foundation; Dr. Paul Hamel, the Director of Health Studies Program at the University of Toronto; and Dr. Helen Dimaras, a researcher at Toronto Western Hospital. The event raised $150 for the University of Toronto Chapter.
- University of Toronto supported Dr. Kevin Kain's research on Malaria trials in Uganda by hosting an Art Exhibition called "A New Year, A New Hope". Chapter members auctioned off performance and visual art that was donated from students and community members alike, raising $200.
- Met students from all different programs and years to raise awareness about FIMRC and its cause at “UTSU Clubs Day”. Successfully recruited around 200 new members
- Held two “Bake Sales” to raise money and awareness for the group
- Held a “Poker Night” in partnership with the Cells and Systems Biology Student Union (CSBSU) at UofT to fundraise for HIV/AIDS testing kits
- Held a FIMRC Global Volunteer Session to raise awareness about the wonderful opportunities FIMRC, as a global organization, has to offer in terms of volunteering abroad and helping out on-site at the clinics
- Represented FIMRC at SickKid’s 5th annual Global Child Health Day for member of the health-care and educational communities. There were discussions with international and SickKids leaders on global child health issues, the strategies to address them, as well as how Canada can be a leader in Global Child Health. FIMRC was given the opportunity to provide a poser presentation about FIMRC during the International Poser presentation component of the Global Health Day.
- Participated in a HHRights Health Conference, raised awareness about FIMRC through a poster display presentation
- Assisted Pediatric Oncology Group of Ontario’s (POGO) Annual Fundraising Gala in its launch of satellite clinics across Ontario to help kids cope with their chemotherapy regimens, access health care services and make it through cancer.
- Partnered with The Teresa Group, a local charity assisting children and families affected with HIV. Provided many of UofT students with valuable volunteer opportunities like tutoring children from these backgrounds as well as helping the administrative staff of the Teresa Group.
- Partnered with Students for International Development (SID). The FIMRC teams in Peru and SID volunteers travel to the mobile health clinic sites and collaborate for ways to improve health in the underserved communities of Peru.
- Partnered with Journalists for Human Rights (JHR). FIMRC U of T agreed to showcase work in any future broadcasts by JHR for the purposes of raising awareness about FIMRC fieldwork, global missions, local volunteering etc.
- Partnered with The Pediatric Oncology Group of Ontario (POGO). POGO works to deliver the right care at the right time and in the right place for children with cancer and their families through healthcare innovation, survivor care, and financial assistance for families, population data, policy development, research and education. Volunteers will be able to learn more about healthcare management while gaining a valuable experience