University of Michigan
2012-2013 Active FIMRC Chapter
FIMRC Chapter of the Year: 2007-2008
FIMRC Chapter of the Semester: Fall 2009
Missions Committee Chair
Natalia Maria Kusior
- Raised almost $12,000 in funds to help kick start the new FIMRC site in the Dominican Republic!
- Bucketing Battle: UM v. MSU: Chapter utilized tailgating on Football Saturdays in the fall to raise funds; approximately 15 members participated and raised $800
- Noodles Night: Chapter decorated Noodles & Co. in a Halloween Theme and held karaoke, with a portion of the proceeds going to our projects. Approximately 200 community members attended and the chapter raised $500
- Necto Night: Chapter collaborated with a campus fraternity to sell entrance tickets and raffle tickets to a Halloween Costume Party at a local dance club. The raffle prize this was $150 to Best Buy. 120 individuals attended and the chapter raised $1,100.
- Benefit Dinner: Chapter collected food donations from local restaurants and applied for funding from campus resources and multicultural councils to purchase discounted food. With these donations, the chapter held a large buffet open to all students for a $5 entrance fee; overall attendance for the can be estimated at 600 people. At the buffet, a Kaplan Scholarship (a partnership the chapter has formed on campus) was auctioned off. The auction raised $1200, and the event raised $4,800 total!
- Crysler Clean-Up: Members cleaned up the basketball center after a game in return for funding to student groups. Member participation was 20 and raised $200.
- Cosi Night: Similar to the Noodles Night fundraiser, although the chapter is very proud of expanding to a new venue! Cosi Night was held during finals and involved a craft corner and study break. The chapter decorated the restaurant with handmade snowflakes to add to the festive spirit.
- Chapter Volunteering committee works with local sites to give members a chance to give back in their own community within Ann Arbor. These places include Food Gatherers (a local soup kitchen), Motts Children’s Hospital, University Living (a senior living center), Ronald McDonald House, and United to Heal (a local warehouse where members sort medical supplies).
- Chapter worked diligently to collect supplies for their Adopt-A-Projects: Mamas and Babies, Healthcare for the Andes, Assisting Teen Mothers in Need, Continuing Operations for Children’s Home for HIV/AIDS, Mama Kits, and Laboratory Expansion, which benefit FIMRC sites in Peru and Uganda.
- Raised over $6,000 for water filtration systems in El Salvador by auctioning donated test preparation courses, autographed baseball memorabilia, tickets to a Detroit Pistons game
- Collaborated with the University of Texas chapter to commit enough funds to construct FIMRC’s new Community Health Pavilion in Bumwalukani, Uganda.
- Donated over $8000 in raised funds to go toward FIMRC’s future mobile clinic in Agallpampa, Peru.
- Organized a donation campaign for students to donate meal credits from their campus meal plan, which raised over $4000.
- Sent two chapter members to volunteer at FIMRC’s clinic site in El Salvador in December 2008
- Raised $600 for the purchase of ultrasound machines to be sent to FIMRC’s partner hospital in Peru
- Raised medical supplies for FIMRC’s Peru sites including several dozen cans and bottles of nutritional formula, 74 bottles of insulin, several hundred insulin syringes, and other supplies including glucose monitor kits, alcohol pads, iodine solution, vitamin supplements, glucose test strips, fiber supplements, antibiotic ointment, ibuprofen, eyedrops, and lancets.
- Raised over $500 worth of medical supplies for FIMRC’s El Salvador site including a sphygmomanometer, a blood pressure cuff, syringes, alcohol pads, hemostats, gloves, and sutures.
- Sent 7-10 chapter members weekly to volunteer at a local soup kitchen, children’s hospital, Ronald McDonald House, Boys and Girls Clubs, and several assisted living homes.
- Raised donations from tailgaters at home football games
- Organized a team to participate in the Relay for Life
- Held bake sales to raise funds
- Held a benefit night at Noodles & Company restaurant
- Held a bar night at a campus nightclub which raised money by selling tickets at the door
- Maintained active membership of over 100 in 2007-2008
- Raised $1500 with silent auction event in partnership with other campus groups
- Raised over $1000 in benefit fundraiser nights
- Volunteered in groups at local soup kitchen, children’s hospital, Ronald McDonald House, and children’s community centers
- Collected medical supply donations for FIMRC’s clinics
- Organized FIMRC’s inaugural volunteer group of 9 chapter members to El Salvador in February 2008
- Planned and implemented a Water Filtration Initiative with Project Las Delicias, El Salvador