California State University, Los Angeles
Active FIMRC Chapter
Director of Community Outreach
- Hosted an arts-and-crafts event at the Children’s Center on the CSULA campus to create origami greeting cards for Los Angeles Children’s Hospital patients
- Created a banner for the CSULA 2011 Banner Contest titled “A Spectacular Winter Crèche”, depicting a snow storm raging around a snug crèche filled with FIMRC volunteers reading to and playing with children to show how important volunteers are to the global community
- Hosted several snack sales and passed out flyers and brochures on FIMRC’s objectives and goals
- Designed a FIMRC at CSULA t-shirt and distributed the garments to new members at meetings
- Collected clothes, jewelry, old furniture, cell phones, etc, and are selling donated items on eBay through a nonprofit account established using MissionFish in which all proceeds are to be donated to FIMRC
- FIMRC at CSULA was selected to occupy an office and mailbox in the University-Student Union, and officers contribute a minimum of 15 office hours per week
- Members knitted scarves to donate to City of Hope Cancer Center patients. FIMRC at CSULA is also working with City of Hope representatives to host a blood drive on the CSULA campus
- Implemented a neighborhood recycling program that serves the dual purpose of raising funds for FIMRC clinics and helping reduce environmental waste.
- Raised more than $800 from events such as hosting bake sales to a “Spring Whirl” dance to Panda Express fundraisers and donations.
- Collected donations for “Adopt-A-Project: Supply Children with Activities and Projects”. Toothbrushes, toothpaste, arts and craft supplies were collected and little bean bags were sewn by members to donate to India
- Donated In-N-Out Burger stickers to the Los Angeles Children’s Hospital along with handmade origami greeting cards with inspirational messages.
- Sponsored and volunteered at CSULA blood drives.
- Collaborated with another medical-based organization on campus to create a health fair in Los Angeles.
- Volunteered at the first aid booth during “Walk for Kids”, an event hosted by the Los Angeles Children’s Hospital
- Gathered a list of signatures and planned a draft of the volunteer program, to be further revised with the on-site staff, and is already preparing and collecting supplies to bring to impoverished individuals
- Received the New Organization of the Year award
- Partnered with City of Hope (COH) Cancer Center to implement the Dreams for Hope project. Members have recorded more than 50 short stories on CDs to donate to COH’s pediatric ward, along with numerous books and magazines for children, adolescents and adults.
- In communication with both COH and Locks of Love to host a Free Haircut Day: Give Hope event on campus. All hair collected will be donated to Locks of Love, some of which will be then made into wigs for COH patients.
- Planned future events including Reading for a Brighter Future, an event at the CSULA library to promote and encourage education by hosting open reading sessions.
- Registered to volunteer at the Union Rescue Mission's summer canned goods distribution, as well as to participate in the AIDS Walk hosted by AIDS Project Los Angeles.